(PRAY THAT ALL WOULD RECEIVE THEIRS)
Pursue love, and desire spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy. (1Corinthians 14:1)
THE GIFTS OF THE SPIRIT
For we know in part and we prophesy in part; but when the perfect comes, the partial will be done away.” (1 Corinthians 13:9)
We as Christians should not come to the wrong conclusion believing that the gifts of the Spirit have ceased. For we can mistakenly think that this passage above which says: “when that which is perfect is come” is referring to the completion of the Canon of Scriptures (the bible). Please my brothers and sisters in Christ, really? I do believe if we adopt that view it’s only because we’re coming up with a (lame) excuse for the our lacking to step out in faith and practice these Spiritual gifts.
So, what is the meaning of “but when the perfect comes?” Well, simply itʼs referring to the time of restoration after Jesus returns for his church. So, to get a better grip on this, letʼs read this all in contexts: “Love never fails; but if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be done away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part; but when the perfect comes, the partial will be done away. When I was a child, I used to speak like a child, think like a child, reason like a child; when I became a man, I did away with childish things. For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully just as I also have been fully known. (1 Corinthians 13:8-12)
So, we can see from this passage above that when we see Jesus face to face, those gifts which only served us here on earth will be done away with. This is true because there be no need for them anymore because they only serve us as evidence of Godʼs wonder working power in this current corrupt world system. Therefor, those gifts of the Spirit are still needful for us Christians today to validate our preaching through signs and wonders, just as it was in Jesus time as well as the apostles. Amen
Now, letʼs look at what the scripture says:
- “And God has appointed these in the church: first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, varieties of tongues.” (1 Corinthians 12:28). Just a casual reading of Godʼs word will clearly show that these gifts are necessary for the church of today. But as said before, they are also to validate what weʼre proclaiming.
- Jesus said: “If I do not do the works of My Father, do not believe Me; “but if I do, though you do not believe Me, believe the works, that you may know and believed that the Father is in Me, and I in Him.” (John 10:37-38) Again, in chapter 14 Jesus says the same thing: “Believe Me that I am in the Father and the Father in Me, or else believe Me for the sake of the works themselves. “Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and greater works than these he will do, because I go to My Father.” (John 14:11-12) Jesus Himself is saying that we are to do even greater works than his. So why aren’t we doing that today Christians?
- And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover. So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God. And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following. Amen. (Mark 16:17-20) Here again we have Jesus own words proclaiming the gifts of the Spirit that we are to receive. And let’s remember that Jesus never mentioned anything about the gifts of the spirit being done away with.
- “And now, Lord, behold their threatenings: and grant unto thy servants, that with all boldness they may speak thy word, By stretching forth thine hand to heal; and that signs and wonders may be done by the name of thy holy child Jesus.” (Acts 4:29-30) Also we read: “How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him; God also bearing them witness, both with signs and wonders, and with divers miracles, and gifts of the Holy Ghost, according to his own will?” (Hebrews 2:3-4) Again: “Long time therefore abode they speaking boldly in the Lord, which gave testimony unto the word of his grace, and granted signs and wonders to be done by their hands.” (Acts 14:3) So again, these gifts of the Spirit are to bear witness to what we are preaching. And how desperately do we need them today.
So, we can see that miracles are not just to heal and deliver people from bondage, but also to validate what we are preaching. If Jesus felt it necessary to validate what he was doing with miracles, how much more do we. So, if we believe the lie that they’re no longer necessary, then we are denying the scriptures and even the words of Jesus himself. And one last thing before closing, why would Paul write with much detail about the gifts of the Spirit if he knew they would soon be done away with? Iʼm convinced that Paul had no clue that his writings would someday be bound in a book along with many other writings of Godʼs saints. So for him to claim that this is talking about the bible is totally absurd. For there is no direct mention of it in the Old Testament as well as the New. Amen to that.
So let’s ask God to help us excel in using these 1gifts while we still have time. For the time will come were: 2“there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect” and then we read 3“And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming: Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders, And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved. And how much more striking will this be if it happens in a church thatʼs void of the true gifts of the Spirit. This can cause great deception throughout the whole world. God help us all to practice all the gifts of the Spirit in our churches today. Amen. 1(Ephesians 5:15- 16) 2(Matthew 24:24) 3(2 Thessalonians 2:8-10)
Below are some scriptures on this topic:
- And many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book: But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name. (John 20:30-31)
- Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know: (Acts 2:22)
- And fear came upon every soul: and many wonders and signs were done by the apostles. (Acts 2:43)
- And by the hands of the apostles were many signs and wonders wrought among the people; (and they were all with one accord in Solomon’s porch. (Acts 5:12)
- For I will not dare to speak of any of those things which Christ hath not wrought by me, to make the Gentiles obedient, by word and deed, Through mighty signs and wonders, by the power of the Spirit of God; so that from Jerusalem, and round about unto Illyricum, I have fully preached the gospel of Christ. (Romans 15:18-19)
- Truly the signs of an apostle were wrought among you in all patience, in signs, and wonders, and mighty deeds. (2 Corinthians 12:12)
- How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him; God also bearing them witness, both with signs and wonders, and with divers miracles, and gifts of the Holy Ghost, according to his own will? (Hebrews 2:3-4)
- Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord: And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him. Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much. Elias was a man subject to like passions as we are, and he prayed earnestly that it might not rain: and it rained not on the earth by the space of three years and six months. And he prayed again, and the heaven gave rain, and the earth brought forth her fruit. (James 5:14-18)